Who We Are
Welcome to Reclaimed Brick Company—a family-run reclamation yard in the heart of Sheffield that supplies a broad range of new and used building materials, and best known for its huge stock of premium reclaimed bricks.
We are a team of industry experts and treasure hunters who scour the UK to find, salvage, and repurpose distinctive building materials, including reclaimed bricks, stone, timber, roof tiles, welsh slate and granite cobbles. We source our materials from a wide variety of locations, from demolition projects of derelict farm houses to large commercial developments.
After going through a systematic salvage and cleaning process, we make these unique materials available to our customers – who use them to create unique aged look, match existing surroundings and limit their projects environmental footprint.
While reclamation is at the centre of our business, we also have the in-house equipment and knowledge to offer safe and effective demolition services, brick matching and nationwide delivery.
Why Reclaimed Materials?
Why would someone want to use old materials instead of new materials? There are many reasons!
- Using reclaimed materials is like owning a piece of history. Or, as we like to say, “Preserving British Heritage to Build the Future.” When it comes to character, charm, and beauty, nothing compares to Victorian, Georgian or Tudor era brick crafted by hand many years ago.
- Old bricks are much stronger than new modern bricks. Old bricks are made from 100% natural clay, whereas new bricks contain cement, ash, sand and other additives to reduce their cost (and quality). Old bricks also have no perforations or core holes running through the bed of the bricks, unlike new bricks. For comparison, the average weight of an old brick is 4kg and the average weight of a new brick is 1kg. The saying ‘They don’t make them like this anymore’ has never been any truer when it comes to bricks.
- Used materials have already endured the test of time and have natural weathered appearances. Unlike new, modern bricks, old ones have proved that they can stand up to weather and pressure. Reclaimed bricks have also been naturally weathered and therefore are ideal for matching originally buildings. You wouldn’t paint a door on a car a different colour so why would you do the same on a house extension or garden wall?
- Size – when in comes to bricks, size does matter! Most houses in the UK were built pre-war and these houses were built with an ‘’Imperial’’ Sized Brick. Post war, with a surge of demand for new housing, brick manufacturers invested heavily in new manufacturing methods to meet the demands. To capitalize on this demand, they changed over to a ‘’Metric’’ brick size system this reduced the size of the brick by 15%. Which in turn meant the manufacture were producing smaller bricks but selling 15% more bricks to cover the same area. (Very clever). Still to this day, bricks in the UK are manufactured to the metric size system, if you are attempting to match a building built pre-war, you’ll require an ‘Imperial’ Sized brick which you will struggle to find from a traditional builder’s merchant. This niche of ‘Imperial’ sized bricks is what us at Reclaimed Brick Company specialise in.
- Building with reclaimed materials is an environmentally-friendly option. It reduces demand for new materials and saves discarded materials from landfills.
- Stock – All the reclaimed products on our website are available and ready for immediate delivery or collection – there’s no long lead-times whilst you wait for the bricks to be manufactured or imported. We can the bricks in physical stock for you to see.
Why Our Customers Choose Us
With our vast knowledge and years of experience, Reclaimed Brick Company has built a reputation as a leader within this industry. We go above and beyond every day to supply our customers with top-notch reclaimed materials and make the purchasing and delivery process as easy as possible.
We have a two-acre yard brimming with reclaimed materials that we welcome you to visit, or you can browse our offerings online from the comfort of your own home. For those shopping remotely, we offer a complimentary brick matching service to ensure you choose the right materials for your project.
Once you find your perfect match, we deliver the materials straight to your project via our fleet of HIAB and Tail-Lift assisted trucks anywhere in mainland UK.
Questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out! We look forward to helping you build something that is truly one-of-a-kind.